Hey sisters, praying you had a good week as you pondered the way of wisdom in your choices with a Gospel mindset. Remember: The key to overcoming is to root out the wrong beliefs and attitudes of our hearts. And this is a lifelong journey of growing into Christ likeness; godliness, holiness. It is a lifelong enrolment in Jesus’ school. THIS is GOSPEL MINDSET.
Today we are reviewing Study 5, ACCUMULATION OF OUR CHOICES: HABITS-GOOD OR BAD?
We considered how we subtly fall into sinful habits:
- We forget who we are in Christ. (Deut 4:9, 2 Peter 1:9)
- We then are vulnerable to Satan and the world at its lies (1 Peter 5:8, 2 Cor 11:14)
- We fall into counterfeit temporary satisfaction or relief instead of God (Jer 2:13)
Consequences: Despair, disillusionment with God. Or, there is pride and arrogance claiming there is no need for God. He is pushed aside once again.
Scripture reminds us that we are new creatures in Christ. (2 Cor 5:17, Eph 4:22-24, 1 John 1:9)We must remain in this Gospel mindset when we begin to deal with our bad habits.
Finally, we considered biblical practical application to overcome. This is taken from Jerry Bridges book, Respectable Sins
- Address our sin in the context of the gospel: Rom 6:6
- Learn to rely on the enabling power of the Holy Spirit Rom 8:13
- Recognize our responsibility 1Tim 4:8
- We must identify our sinful habits.
- Apply appropriate Scriptures
- Cultivate the practice of prayer
- Involve one or two other believers with you
Finally, our bible study ended with the Scripture in Ephesians 4:22-30 teaching us that Biblical change is not just turning away from bad habits. It is also turning towards righteousness by replacing it with good habits. As you reflect on this, think and pray of ways of replacing the sinful habit with a positive good habit.
Chat with your study buddy or someone close to you and share your progress. Pray for continued grace to address bad habits which hinder your moving forward with Christ.
Praying for us all to make wise choices this week to the glory of God,